Located in Union Township, NJ, Liberty Hall dates to 1772 and is nationally significant for its associations with New Jersey's first governor, William Livingston. Originally encompassing a gentleman's farm that numbered 120 acres, most of the property was subdivided and sold off during the mid-late twentieth century to accommodate a host of modern uses. In 2007, Commerce Bank proposed a bank branch on a portion of the former estate property, thereby incurring a regulatory review by the New Jersey Historic Preservation Office under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. The ensuing cultural resource study consisted of a Phase IB-II Cultural Resource Investigation that addressed both historic architecture and archaeology, of which Gregory served as the primary investigator for historic architecture. This report, coupled with a series of mitigations that included a banking hall mural summarizing the property's history, enabled Commerce Bank to secure its Section 106 approvals in order to construct its bank branch.
* Completed while at
Cultural Resource Consulting Group