Designed by architect Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz in 1902, the Orchard Street Exchange was originally built as a telephone exchange to serve New York City's immigration population. Upon closing in 1940, the building was subsequently used for garment retail, manufacturing and administrative operations before its conversion into rental apartments by Velum LLC in 1998. A decade later, Gregory completed a preservation easement application on behalf of Velum, which enabled the owner to obtain a federal income tax deduction for donating its façade to a conservation organization.
* Completed while at
Cultural Resource Consulting Group