Seventh Regiment Armory

Designed by architect Charles W. Clinton & originally built between 1877 and 1881, the armory is designed in a Gothic Revival style that features a formidable castle-like exterior enclosing a massive drill hall, a series of lavish public and private spaces designed by leaders of the American Aesthetic Movement, and other ancillary rooms to accommodate administrative and utilitarian needs. It is also one of the only properties in New York City to have seven separate designations/listings, ranging from local interior and exterior landmark designations to State/National Register and National Historic Landmark listings. Yet, in spite of being recognized on the local, state and federal levels, the armory has limited protections, owing to state ownership superceding local regulatory authority. Confronted with the prospect of the building's conversion into a large-scale, resident cultural arts venue, a neighborhood coalition known as Save Park Avenue's Residential Character engaged Gregory Dietrich Preservation Consulting to assist it in its advocacy efforts. GDPC's work to date on the project has included a letter report, client representation at meetings, and ongoing consulting services.

     Home :: Clients :: Tax Credits / Grants :: Nat'l Register Nominations :: Preservation Planning :: Resource Studies :: Research :: Presentations :: About :: Contact :: Media :: Events
EventsAboutContactPresentations Media Home Research & DocumentationCultural Resource StudiesPreservation PlanningNational Register NominationsHistoric Tax Credits / Preservation Grants Client Representation